Christopher Wilson

FORT MILL, SC – LCPL Benjamin Charles Campbell, 18, died Monday, April 6, 2015. He was a 2014 graduate of Nation Ford High School. He attended Recruit Training for the United States Marine Corps at Parris Island, S.C. on July 20, 2014. Upon graduation he was assigned to SOI East at Camp Geiger, N.C. where he completed his Infantry Training in October, 2014. He was assigned to ARMOR TRNG CO, MARDET FORT BENNING, GA, MATSG 21. He loved riding his 4-wheel Jeep in the mud. He had an adventurous and kind spirit. He loved his family and friends. Memorial donations can be made in the name of Ben Campbell to the Special Olympics Area 11, 2438 Shiland Drive, Rock Hill, SC 29732. “He was truly a remarkable young man and his short time here on earth made a huge difference in the lives of some many special young men and women that he so comfortably interacted with, even as a young boy.” “My son knew your son at Fort Benning and said he enjoyed their conversations when they had the chance to talk one on one.” “My son went through bootcamp with Benjamin.I have a wonderful picture of your son and Dallas at ease. Your son was the only Marine that Dallas wanted his picture with. I’m so sorry about the loss of your son.”

Nicholas Gruff


Nick was born in Vineland, NJ where he attended Millville Senior High School and graduated in 1999. After high school, Nick enlisted with the United States Coast Guard where he began a very successful and decorated career. While enlisted, Nick trained and exceled in the USCG obtaining the rank of Boatswain’s Mate Second Class. Nick was awarded numerous honors and prestigious recognition such as CG Good Conduct Medal; CG Pistol Expert Medal; CG Pistol Marksman Ribbon; CG Rifle Marksman; Coast Guard Achievement Medal; and CG SSAN Service Ribbon. In addition to those awards, Nick volunteered to be sent overseas for Operation Iraqi Freedom (WPB-1333) where he received the awards for Global War on Terror; Iraq Campaign Medal; National Defense Service Medal; and Transportation 9-11 Ribbon. He also completed 110-hour course for the USCG search and rescue personnel in EMT training in Petaluma, CA. After his many years of service to our country Nick was employed as a CTS for the Woodbine Developmental Center. Nick loved the water and enjoyed spending his summers at his camper at East Point Lighthouse, riding his jet ski, swimming in his pool and relaxing in his hot tub, cheering on his beloved Philadelphia Eagles and Philadelphia Phillies, traveling, cooking and grilling for his family and friends, the beach, and fishing and crabbing. The number one thing that Nick loved doing the most was taking care of and being a devoted, loving father to his beautiful daughter, Kamila Brook. Kamila was the light of Nick’s life and he adored her with all his heart. Nick called New Jersey home and is laid to rest in Leesburg, NJ. “My brother-in-law had a very long and grueling battle with PTSD which ultimately lead to his untimely death. During the weeks leading up to his passing, his paranoia and depression became so severe that he couldn’t go to work. The things he once loved so much he soon lost the drive for – like getting his pool ready for the upcoming season, or doing yard work, or taking a morning run. He would cry throughout the day and he suffered through spurts of anxiety and paranoia that he was being watched or investigated.The pure terror and state of despair was so evident at times, it was as if he was readying himself for combat. These episodes confirmed just how hard he was battling with his PTSD, but we never thought in a million years this would be the outcome.” Shared by Deanna

Nathan Beem


Nathan was an incredible human being, he was a friend to everyone, had no enemies and always had a smile on his face. He had a work ethic like no other and always succeeded at anything he did. He loved fishing, spending time on the water, was a college soccer player, loved snowboarding, surfing, and skateboarding. He was a leader on the soccer field and in the classroom. He graduated from College with a 3.8 with honors in Natural Resources Law Enforcement and entered the US Coast Guard in June 2018. He graduated from the CG with Foxtrot 196 and went onto his first assignment at Fairport, Grand River. He loved the Coast Guard and his shipmates. Nathan never expressed any signs of anxiety or depression ever in his lifetime. He was always the one that was there for someone. He left behind a note that something happened to him in 2017 – that he was carrying a burden and he just could not live any longer. We have no idea what could have taken him from us, but he took his life August 24, 2018. We are still in shock and cannot believe he is no longer with us. He left behind a sister and niece and a family that loved him dearly. We were very close as a family and were completely blindsided by what occurred. It is so important that we continue to raise awareness and erase the stigma that military need to be quiet about mental health. I am certain that my son had never been in a dark place before, but felt trapped and not able to talk to anyone due to his active duty status. I wish he had come forward and talked to us. We would have done anything to keep him here with us. He loved his Country and the Coast Guard. He was a great person. He will be missed by many. (shared by his mother, Heather) From his obituary:Nathan D. Beem , age 21, of Xenia, OH, passed away in his favorite place, Ellsworth MI on Friday August 24, 2018. He was born November 27, 1996 in Kettering, OH, the son of Daniel and Heather Beem. Nathan was an avid outdoorsman who spent any free time fishing, hunting, kayaking, surfing, golfing, enjoying dirt track racing and snowboarding. Nathan began playing soccer when he was 5 years old. His youth years were spent at Club X Soccer on the Predators team which gave him the foundation to continue playing at a higher level. He played high school soccer for Xenia High School and was a leader and team captain. He played all four high school years for the Ohio Galaxies. The Galaxies team was ranked Nationally and gave him the opportunity to play soccer in college. He went on to play at the collegiate level at Mount Vernon Nazarene University on an academic and athletic scholarship. Those years helped form lifelong friendships in his soccer family.Nathan transferred to Hocking College to change his major and completed his Associate Degree in Natural Resources Law Enforcement in May 2018, graduating with honors. Nathan swore into the US Coast Guard in 2017 and entered basic training in Cape May, NJ in June 2018. He was a member of the color guard and proudly carried the POW MIA flag. He graduated from basic training August 3, 2018 and was stationed at Coast Guard Station Fairport on Lake Erie. Although he was only there a short time, he was dedicated to his mission, and loved all the people he met and spoke highly of his shipmates and Chief. Nathan was a family man, rooted in his belief in God and enjoyed his time with his family and friends. He was an honest, humble, diligent, hardworking man. He had a tender heart and sweet spirit, but yet strong and deliberate. He never had an enemy, was a peacemaker and had many friends that were very special to him. He dearly loved his sister Kristin and little niece Ellie. He was known as nay-nay to many. He was a blessing to all that had the opportunity to know him. Nathan grew up spending his summers in Northern MI. From the time he was born he grew to know and love the area. Nathan frequently talked about his future and his desire to own property there someday. He knew the lakes so well he could have easily been a fishing guide and knew all the good fishing holes. He began fishing the Chain of Lakes at a young age and was known as Nate the fisherman by many. Nathan is survived by his sister, Kristin E. Beem and niece Ellie V. Beem, father Daniel L. Beem, mother Heather K Beem, grandmother Marilyn R. Meyer, grandmother Shirley A. Beem, grandfather Douglas A. Beem, uncle Greg S. Beem and aunt Liz Beem, uncle John Meyer, and cousins Maxwell, Jadyn and James. He is also survived by many close friends and his USCG shipmates. Nathan’s love for Northern Michigan drew him home on Friday August 24th to the place he loved and wanted to be. Nathan loved the peace and tranquility he found in the woods and on the lakes of Northern Michigan. We ask that in lieu of flowers donations be directed to the Little Traverse Conservancy in his honor. States close to his heart: Michigan, Ohio, Florida Final Rest: “Nathan was cremated, his remains were scattered on Lake Charlevoix, Charlevoix, MI on Hemmingway Pointe where he wanted to be. It was his favorite fishing location and he loved Northern MI.”

Keith Bakewell


“Keith was a wonderful man and had many friends, the ones he grew up with mostly i.e. Troy Pfiffner, Mazzie, and his Davenport buddies, but everyone liked him. He was outgoing and thoughtful. He worked so very hard in college; it did not come easy for him but he graduated with honors. It meant a lot to him. He lived at home after graduating college, then moved to Davenport when he was hired at the Arsenal. He was somewhat of a perfectionist with his work, his clothes and what people thought of him. He bought his house in Davenport and worked so hard at taking off wallpaper and painting every inch of that house. We were always welcome there no matter what and he never missed a holiday with his family when he got out of the Marines. He was so thoughtful to his family, his co-workers and to his extended family. He adored his godchildren Colin and Leah and loved playing with them. He always told his brother and sister what his dad and I needed for Christmas without asking us, that was how observant he was. He was generous at Christmas with buying all the nieces and nephews Christmas presents and always adding extra to his dad and me. He was a fussy eater since he was a child and got his fill of pizza throughout the years but liked his mother’s cooking as well, not all of it but ate what he liked. He would come home on Friday nights and the 3 of us would talk and have a few drinks, then eat. His real joy was his Fatboy Harley motorcycle that he bought. That was an ongoing dream for him to have one. He loved the NY Yankees and Tennessee Titans. He would call almost every week and talk to me or his father, that is the one thing that was hard for me after he was gone.” Shared by his mother, Sharon Keith was born April 18th, 1976 in Dubuque, beloved son of Norb and Sharon (Merritt) Bakewell.Immediately after graduating from Dubuque Hempstead High School, Keith wanted to follow in his father’s footsteps and serve his country. He enlisted in the United States Marine Corp where he served from 1994-1998. Keith’s first duty station was Guantanamo Bay, Cuba where he served as a squad leader scout/sniper instructor and was meritoriously promoted to Corporal. He then went “on float” for 6 months and was able to see the world. He was honorably discharged as a Sergeant in 1998. After the service Keith attended the University of Northern Iowa where he graduated in 2001 Cum Laude with a B.A. in Business. Keith was employed for the last six years at the Rock Island Arsenal where he was recently promoted to Contracting Officer. In this role Keith negotiated contracts between the US Military and logistical contracting companies. This challenging position took him all over the world including Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Middle East. Keith’s greatest joy of his life was his Harley Davidson. As a kid he was always seen riding toy motorcycles, and his dream was realized when he was able to buy his first Fatboy. Keith loved to go on rides with his buddies. He also loved to hunt, watch the Tennessee Titans, the New York Yankees, and do anything that looked adventurous. He was the “fun” uncle to his four nieces and two nephews-always joking and making them laugh. Keith excelled in everything he did and was known for his work ethic, attention to detail and free spirit. He was a beloved brother, son and friend who was respected and loved by all. Keith had a generous heart and was always there for you whenever you needed him. He will be deeply missed and forever remembered.

Benjamin Campbell


FORT MILL, SC – LCPL Benjamin Charles Campbell, 18, died Monday, April 6, 2015. He was a 2014 graduate of Nation Ford High School. He attended Recruit Training for the United States Marine Corps at Parris Island, S.C. on July 20, 2014. Upon graduation he was assigned to SOI East at Camp Geiger, N.C. where he completed his Infantry Training in October, 2014. He was assigned to ARMOR TRNG CO, MARDET FORT BENNING, GA, MATSG 21. He loved riding his 4-wheel Jeep in the mud. He had an adventurous and kind spirit. He loved his family and friends. Memorial donations can be made in the name of Ben Campbell to the Special Olympics Area 11, 2438 Shiland Drive, Rock Hill, SC 29732. “He was truly a remarkable young man and his short time here on earth made a huge difference in the lives of some many special young men and women that he so comfortably interacted with, even as a young boy.” “My son knew your son at Fort Benning and said he enjoyed their conversations when they had the chance to talk one on one.” “My son went through bootcamp with Benjamin.I have a wonderful picture of your son and Dallas at ease. Your son was the only Marine that Dallas wanted his picture with. I’m so sorry about the loss of your son.”

Ricardo Acosta


Ricky was a Florida / beach boy. He was a very talented musician and studied musical engineering after 5 years of service in the Army. Ricky was a happy, funny, “light up our life” son and brother. We watched as his demons of Iraq ate through his joy. He is forever missed and loved. Places he called home: Florida and Ft. Bragg, NC. His final resting place is Bay Pines National Cemetery

Randy Abrams


SFC Randy Abrams, a 3rd tour returning Combat Solider, died March 20, 2009. He was a returning Combat Soldier who did not receive the help he needed and tragically died because of it.Randy died by suicide during a PTSD flashback during the night in his bed at home. He put a .45 caliber handgun to his head and pulled the trigger.Hello, I am Roxann Abrams, Randy’s mother. Thank you for taking the time to read my son’s story. I write this biography celebrating his life and mourning his death.SFC Randy Abrams was a real person, with a real family and this really happened in 2009, and is STILL happening in 2012. The best way I can honor my son is to help his Brothers, and out of that Operation: I.V. is born to provide effective treatments and support for our Iraq and Afghanistan Combat Veterans.Randy is my oldest son, and still today is a very integral part of our family. As his mother, I can tell you the pain of losing a child is indescribable. And the senselessness of his death makes the pain worse. This is an emotional wound that for me will never heal. I will never “get over it” or “get past it”. The day my son died I lost a part of myself that I will never get back, literally a part of me died that day too. As time goes on, and only with the help of Jesus Christ, I am only learning how to cope.Randy’s senseless death has caused immeasurable pain to me, and many others also. His brother Daniel, his sister Lisa, his niece, nephews and sister-in-law, countless friends and the list goes on. Also included in this sea of pain, are Randy’s Battle Buddy’s – his soldier’s, the ones that worked for him and then there are his friends. They all suffer from survivors guilt from his suicide on top of their own serious PTSD!Randy was an amazing Son, Brother and Uncle. Perfect? No, not by any means – we teased him about being controlling – a necessary trait for being a good Military leader! And he was a good one – in addition, he was a very giving human being, that is why he chose the Military as his career – because he wanted to protect the freedoms we have in this country!From the time he was 8 years old all he ever wanted to do was be a Marine. The Marine Corp recruited him directly out of high school ROTC, Arlington High School in Riverside, Ca. He had a very successful 6 year career in the Marines. Deciding to pursue another career path he honorably discharged at the end of his enlistment. Two years later he then realized the Military was his passion. He joined the Army.Randy deployed to Iraq in early 2003, as was part of the 3rd ID out of Fort Stewart, Ga – these were the ground forces who were the first troops in at the onset of the Iraq war, March 20, 2003.During his first days in Iraq Randy was on one of the Baghdad entrance bridges engaged in a 30 hour firefight! Those bridges were named Curly, Moe, and Larry … Randy was stuck on that middle bridge, Moe. Can you imagine having people trying to kill you for over 30 hours?? This is the reality of the types of situations these soldiers at war are in, multiple times over …. in addition, they watch their buddies get blown up and die and additionally they have to kill other people!! These are the realities of war. This is what Post Traumatic Stress comes from – being in a life threatening situation or witnessing one – and it is magnified with each successive event. Most of the time Combat PTSD does not show itself until the solider has returned to a safer environment like coming home. That is what tragically ended the life of my son, SFC Randy Abrams.During Randy’s time of service in the Army he was a sniper and a weapons trainer. By the time he returned to the US in June of 2008, he had personally trained over half of the Iraq Army soldiers on their weapons! He was a sniper also – Randy was an Abrams (the name of a Military tank) that sat on the back of a Bradley (another military tank). He was a force to be reckoned with all by himself!Randy’s last months …. indications of PTSD?Summer 2008 – His return from his 3rd tourUpon his return in June he bought himself a Harley. His reward to himself for a job well done!! In August of 2008 he rode across the country from GA to CA to visit his family and friends. The photo of him with his bike you see on this page was taken when he arrived in Santa Barbara, Ca.He had made a decision to pursue his second love, motorcycles, after completing his Military career. He was excited about the decision he had made to become a Harley mechanic and eventually own his own Harley shop. He talked about it practically non stop during that visit!Randy then rode up to San Francisco to see friends and returned to Ft Stewart, GA after a month long road trip Sept 2008.Randy got the news he had been selected as a Drill Sgt Instructor upon his return from his trip to Ca. He was going to Drill Sgt school in February 2009. This is an honor that less than 10% of the military enjoys. It is an elite assignment. He never showed any outward signs to anyone (except one friend) until his very last day that he was having any difficulty at all. All appearances were that he was just fine.I later found out later, that Randy began to have occasional flashbacks, in October 2008. Those flashbacks came and went over the next several months. He told only one friend, in the strictest confidence, because in the Military at that time and still today it is considered weak and unmanly among the men of the military to get mental health help of any kind.The reality is that the social and professional climates of the military were then and still are, of that mind set that it is a bad thing to seek mental health help and they (the returning soldiers) should be able to handle it on their own! This must change!!Christmas/New Years 2008-2009Randy came home for Christmas 2008. We had a wonderful Christmas, thank God for lots of family time and really good memories. He took his brother Daniel to a USC game on New Years Day. It was the last time Daniel saw his brother. On January 2, 2009 I took my son to the airport – I hugged him, kissed him, and told him I loved him … his last words my son said to me in person were “I love you too Mom”. When I spoke to him later in the month of January, he seemed a little edgy but that wasn’t out of the ordinary and did not strike me as anything to worry about. He did tell me he was leaving February 18 to go to Drill Sgt School and he was not happy about it. He did tell me he would be out of school late April – early May and would probably take leave and come home sometime late May-June as one of his CA friends’ wives was giving birth about then and he wanted to see their baby.February 17, 2009 Randy’s last DayI called Randy that day late morning PST making it early afternoon EST. Got his voice mail, left him a message “Hi Randy, its Mom, call me back, I love you!” ……. he called me back several hours later – As soon as he said hello I knew something was very wrong! I said to him “Randy you don’t sound good, what’s wrong?” he replied “Nothing Mom” …. I said “That’s not true, what’s wrong??” again he said nothing …. then changed the subject. We had a 10 minute or so conversation ending in ” I love you Randy — I love you too Mom”. He was supposed to be off to Drill Sgt School the next day.(I know this is confusing and doesn’t add up yet, but keep reading, it will)I called him 2 weeks later .. the phone went straight to voice mail, or so I thought … not uncommon if he was out in the field on a training mission.March 14 – Randy’s BirthdayI called him and got a weird recording, not his voice mail. ..My other kids and I are calling each other that day – “Have you talked to Randy?” Everyone said no and we all got that same weird recording, assuming he was out in the field.March 19 – I got the call – I woke up to 3 messages on my cell phone voice mail .. 1 from Randy’s landlord, 1 from Randy’s unit and 1 from his friend. His Lieutenant asked me if I had seen Randy or talked to him in the last few days. I said “No”, then they told me he had never shown up for Drill Sgt School February 18 – WHAT?? Over a month ago and you are just now calling???? They said they had been to his house and he wasn’t there, I asked if his Harley and or his car were at his house – he said yes … I said “If his bike and his car are still in the driveway then somebody did something to him, or he did something to himself.” I told the officer what tattoo’s Randy had and where they were on his body. I knew then he was dead. My son wasn’t the kind of person to not show up to something, especially work and just not call, that just wasn’t Randy! I knew right then, in my heart, he was dead. Later that day I got a call from the Army telling me Officers were coming to my house to talk to me. Now there was no denying he was dead. He had always told me “No news is good news, if they ever call you and tell you they are coming to the house to talk to you, that means I’m dead.” At that moment I dropped to the floor and cried inconsolably. Sometime later, I don’t know how long of a time it was, I realized I had to tell my other two children their brother was dead. You see, not only did the Military, in Randy’s case the Army, drop the ball when it came to getting him the proper help upon his return from Combat, they dropped the ball across the board.My son was dead by suicide in his home for 33 days before the Army discovered his body! The only reason the Army went to Randy’s house that day is because his landlord called his commanding officer because he hadn’t paid his rent for March!!How can that happen? How can the Army not know where an ACTIVE DUTY Sergeant First Class slated for Drill Sgt School is for 33 days??????? It’s been 3 years and I’ve never gotten an acceptable answer from the Army. When he didn’t show up for Drill Sgt School apparently no one from the school notified his Commanding officer that he did not report for duty, or so they say. Upon getting that call from Randy’s landlord members of his unit went to his house. Seeing his car outside they let themselves in with the landlord and upon entry discovered his body and called police.When the police entered Randy’s house that day they discovered he had clothes in the washer and dryer, a duffel bag 3/4 packed to go to school in the living room, $ 75.00 in his wallet along with a bank withdraw and receipt for gas. He had dropped his clothes on the floor […]